Ultrametabolism, Ch. 9 Control Your Appetite
Harnessing Your Brain Chemistry for Weight Loss
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.
Psalm 139: 13-18
“GOD choreographs the “molecular dance” which goes on every second of every minute of every day in every cell in the universe. For the record, once cell has about 200 trillion molecules. He makes note of the smallest seed and the tiniest sparrow. He is not too busy to keep records even of our falling hair. Yet in our darkness we suppose HE has overlooks us. HE hasn’t.” Elisabeth Elliot
The Power of the Gut-Brain-Fat-Cell Connection
In our book, Dr. Hyman shared he was invited to a Summit on Obesity in 2004, a gathering of all the top weight loss experts. He commented on the toxic eating environment of the average American town…fast foods and convenience stores at every turn. He said even if one wanted to, it would be hard to find a healthy meal, and he commented on the super-sized soda’s and refined starches that were so accessible that fueled food cravings and the obesity epidemic.
The man who impressed him the most was the doctor who had struggled with his weight, as he shot up to 400 pds, and had tried every diet imaginable. He even did gastric bypass and still found a way to cheat and regained the weight. He described the feeling an insatiable hunger and craving always gnawing at him. He tried the weight loss suppressant-fen phen, and said it was as if a switch had been turned off in his brain. He wasn’t hungry anymore. He realized that his drive to eat was hormonal or chemical in orgin. …he eventually got off the fen phen because of the dangers of it, but he learned to use his food as his medicine. Rather than food being his poison, through careful use of meal timing and composition, it became his medicine. Dr. Hyman said it was a remarkable example of the power of the gut-brain-fat-cell connection. Getting the signals mixed will lead to misery. Getting them right will lead to good health and weight loss.
Appetite Our of Control
A complex set of chemical interactions among your brain, nervous system, metabolic hormones, special fat cells and immune system makes us your appetite control system. Dr. Hyman calls this the gut-brain-fat cell connection.
When working properly as GOD designed them, they are an elegant machine that pinpoints when you need energy and asks you to consume calories to obtain that energy. But when they go haywire ( and there are many ways for them to go haywire, they cause you to eat when you don’t need to, contributing to weight gain, and almost every other health problem we face.
One of the reasons Americans gain extra weight is their appetite control system is out of balance.Rebalancing and fine tuning is what this chapter is all about.
How well did you do on the Gut-Brain-Fat Cell Communication Quiz?
4 Basic Parts of Appetite Control System
- The wiring of your nervous system-autonomic nervous system or wiring connecting the brain, gut, and fat cells. When I went to Texas for the first time, I learned my autonomic nervous system was really out of whack…pesticides…constantly eating and had to eat large quantities to feel stable and full. Started detoxing in sauna and through IV’s and I began to be able to eat less, and eat regular timed meals.
- Weight Control Hormones: Metabolic hormones, including the hormones and molecules made by your fat cells.
- Command Central Messengers: Brain messenger chemicals call neuropeptides, also go along with neurotransmitters, another term I became familiar with at the environmental health clinic….pesticides and chemicals can mess these up badly!
- Molecules of inflammation: cytokines , messenger molecules of the immune system , produced in fat cells ( and white blood cells and liver cells) with wide ranging effects
All these components work together to communicate among all the organs and tissues responsible for managing our weight and keeping us alive. Their signals flow among your stomach, intestines, liver, pancreas, fat cells, endocrine (hormone) system, brain, and autonomic nervous system. Good communication equals a health metabolism. Tell about painters wife who died, gained a lot of weight, we got sick about the same time…
What kind of things mess of the communication of these messengers between one another….pesticides, mold, chemicals, lawn spray
When these things are in balance, weight stays in balance, when they are out of balance….weight gets out of balance. The Ultrametabolism Prescription in the back of the book is designed to keep these messengers in balance.
One of the messengers made in the pancreas and fat cells is called
Gail Clanton’s daughter first who I heard that term from…she worked in the chemistry lab in college….did that get her messengers out of balance?
The key to controlling your appetite is learning how to create harmony among all the parts of your metabolism that make up your appetite regulation system.
Weight Controlling Molecules Creating Harmony
Hormones are the messenger molecules of the endocrine system- including your fat cells! Good estrogen, bad estrogen…produced by plastics the number one pollutant in our bodies
Neurotransmitters are the messenger molecules of the nervous system-
Cytokines are the messenger molecules of the immune system also including your fat cells.
Our CREATOR really fined tuned these molecules and when they are harmonious we have good health and good metabolism. When this process of communication is out of balance, it wreaks havoc on your system. You get hungry after you have just eaten, you store fat when you should burn it, your body starts ignoring the normal signals for appetite and metabolism, and the result is weight gain and disease….
How many of you have experienced this? I have surely have, Gail’s daughter….
6 Ways You Can Influence the Complex Melodies of your Hormone System:
- Compose the perfect meals
- Eat early and often
- Enjoy foods that control your appetite and avoid foods that send it out of control . (check food allergies)
- Use herbs to optimize hormonal balance.( make sure not allergic to)
- Use supplements to control your appetite and balance the brain fat gut cell communication ( make sure not allergic too)
- Consider testing to find the causes of an appetite that is out of control.Allergies,
Step One: Compose the Perfect Meal:
Eat Real Food: Include as many real, whole, unprocessed foods in your diet as possible. Get rid of the fake food you are eating. This is an important step in detoxifying and cleaning up your diet, making you healthier, helping to control your appetite and lose weight. Stop eating foods with labels on them.
Examples of Real Foods:
Whole fruit, not canned fruit or fruit juices
Whole veggies, not canned ones
Wild fish, not farmed fish
Whole grains, not processed wheat
Grass fed beef, not feed lot beef
Nuts, seeds, and legumes or beans, not fried or salted
Eating the Right Fats
Helps you to turn on the genes that help you lose weight and turn off the ones that cause you to gain weight. Fats are one of the key parts of our diet that control genes, weight, and inflammation.
How Fats Help:
- provide satisfying, slowly absorbed energy that makes you feel full faster and keeps you feeling full longer.
- Help to lower the glycemic load of the whole meal by mixing with all the rest of the food in our gut and allowing it to be absorbed more slowly before it hits our bloodstream.
- Healthy fats, including extra virgin olive oil, nuts, coconut oil, and fish oil, contain omega 3 fats helping to form health cell membranes…the outer structure of every cell that controls all the signals and messages coming from everywhere in the body (including insulin). Dr. Soto has an instrument that determines the age of your endothelial lining. Do you remember Mr. ED….endothelial dysfunction….endothelial lines every cell of the body and if it gets messed up, nutrients are allowed to pass back and through the blood to the cells.
- Key fats , omega 3’s enter the cells and communicate with your DNA to turn on special genes that help you increase fat burning, improved your blood sugar control, correct insulin resistance, and reduce inflammation which is very important in losing weight and regaining your health.
One of the best ways to help people lose weight and regain optimal health is to give them an oil change. A recent study showed that fish oil was above and beyond all else that could be done to prevent heart disease, including prescription drugs.
Dr. Sherry Rogers recommends Carlson Labs, Cod Liver Oil in the liquid…i believe it’s Lemon Flavor. I have been using the liquid Xymogen fish oil and taking approximately a tsp a day.
GET the Plastics Out of US! Dr. Rogers says that plastics are the number one toxin in our bodies, and plastics are estrogen mimics making us fat among other health challenges! Just got this about plastics and BPA from Environmental Working Group:http://www.ewg.org/bpa/. Check it out!
An excellent resource for Less Toxic Alternatives is called Less Toxic Alternatives by Carolyn Gorman. You can find it at the American Environmental Health Foundation where Carolyn serves as the Patient Coordinator for the Environmental Health Clinic in Dallas, Tx. http://www.aehf.com/product.php?productid=1953. You can also find Carolyn on the web for consulting at: http://lesstoxicalternatives.com/About_Carolyn_Gorman.html
Check out this GREAT WEBSITE for helping you to keep your and your family healthy!www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/. If you follow the healthier and natural way of living and doctoring, then your appetite will be stabilized and not get out of control by all the chemicals, pesiticides, GMO foods, etc we live around….BE WISE and THRIVE!
Great resource i just read about on the website above: http://www.realfoodandhealth.com/. Check it out!